Epoxy paint can transform an old and tired garage floor into a showroom. Epoxy paint is a bit harder to apply than normal household paints. However, with proper preparation, you can get an excellent result from your DIY efforts. Learning how to apply epoxy paint will help get you on your way to great appearance and well-designed garage floor.
- Tape a piece of plastic to your concrete floor with tape. Let the plastic stand for 24 hours. After waiting the allotted time, remove the plastic from the floor and check for moisture. If the floor looks darker or humidity is evident, do not apply epoxy paint to your floor. Moisture will ruin the paint job over time.
- Clean oil stains and grease spills from the ground. Use a degreaser, such as dish soap, and a brush to remove stains as much as possible. Clean the rest of the floor with an electric scrubber. To do this, first wet the floor and pour a small amount of degreaser on it. Run the electric scrubber on the floor until it is clean. Use a wet/dry vacuum to remove excess water and soap. Rinse the floor with water and repeat. Let the floor dry for 24 to 48 hours.
- Etch the ground with acid. Spread a solution of 12 ounces of muriatic acid and 1 gallon of water in the soil. Add the acid to the water in a bucket. Use a respirator to protect yourself from fumes. Use a power washer or hand wash to scrub the acid solution on the floor. Rub each area for about 10 minutes. Be sure to wear appropriate clothing, including safety glasses, gloves and closed shoes because the acid can be harmful to the eyes and skin. Rinse the floor twice with water and let it dry overnight.
- Mix the epoxy resin according to the instructions on the package. Spread the epoxy paint on the floor with a brush and a foam paint roller. Again, it is important to use proper safety equipment, including a respirator and gloves. Paint the entire floor with epoxy paint. Spread colored flakes over damp paint. Wait for the paint to dry overnight.
- Mix and spread the clear top coat over the top of the epoxy paint with a brush roller and paint. Wait for the top coat to dry for a day or two before use.