Mold is a type of fungus that grows and spreads in wet places. The rim of the shower is a good place to grow because it is difficult to see. If mold is not cleaned, it can continue to grow on the shower ledge spread to the rest of the shower and even behind the shower walls if there are cracks or holes in the sealant. Treat mold with natural products in your house, without exposing yourself to chemical-based products.
- Pour water over the top edge of the shower to wet the mold. By wetting the fungus you prevent it from traveling through the air during cleaning and removal which prevents mold inhalation or it traveling to another surface.
- Fill a spray bottle with white vinegar and generously spray the mold on the shower ledge. Let the vinegar sit for 30 minutes. Dampen a clean cloth with water, and then clean the shower ledge to remove mold and mildew.
- Mix a solution to help prevent mold return to your shower ledge. Measure 2 tablespoons tea tree oil and pour into a spray bottle. Add 2 cups of water and shake the bottle well.
- Spray the shower ledge generously with the solution. Let the oil dry on the surface and do not clean or rinse. The tea tree oil is effective for a month to keep mold from growing back.
Tips & Warnings
- Keep a spray bottle of vinegar in your bathroom. Spray the shower walls, the door and handle after each shower.
- A bathroom with poor ventilation will have permanent mold problems. Open a window when possible and use the fan during and after showers.