Mold can be a health risk, especially to people with allergies or asthma. People with weak immune systems or chronic lung problems may be susceptible to mold infections. After a flood or leak mold can grow rapidly.
- Open windows and doors to help dry the wet areas. Set up fans to circulate the air to help dry the areas more quickly.
- Wash any wet items well with detergent and clean water. Items must be washed within 24 hours of getting wet. Any porous items that cannot be cleaned and dried completely, such as furniture, should be removed. Carpet, carpet padding and drywall that have become wet should also be removed
- Wipe down hard surfaces with a mixture of bleach and water. Use no more than 1 cup of bleach in 1 gallon of water. Be sure to wear protective goggles and non-porous gloves. Use a hard brush to scrub areas clean.
Tips & Warnings
- Discoloring of walls and ceilings or a moldy odor are indications of possible water and mold damage.
- Never mix bleach with other cleaning products as the result can produce toxic fumes.