Painting wood to look like metal may sound complicated, but you can easily create a metallic look using metal finish spray. These paintings recreate the color, and the brightness of the metal on almost any surface, including wood. You should add a transparent layer to ensure that the metallic paint adheres properly and lasts for years.
- Sand the wood with sandpaper with a thickness of 220 to prepare the surface for the base. Clean the dust produced by sanding using a dry cloth.
- With a brush, apply a layer of alcohol based wood paint. These bases are sometimes called “shellac” bases. Do not worry about using a coloredbase to match your painting; a white base will work perfectly.
- Shake your can of spray paint.
- Apply the paint on the wood, starting from the top and using horizontal and constant movements to apply a thin coat of paint. Continue to apply thin layers until the wood surface is completely covered. Let the paint dry.
- Paint over the dry metallic paint with a layer of transparent polyurethane-based latex with high gloss finish to protect and give shine to the metal paint.
Tips & Warnings
- As you paint, spray the paint in constant motion or too much could be applied in an area, causing the paint to run and ruin the metallic look you’re going for.