If you install shelves in the nursery, they will not only give you more free space, but will also help keep you organized. Shelves can make a room a few square yards look more spacious. In addition, building shelves is a relatively easy task.
How to build shelves for children’s room
- Draw a draft of your child’s room, including furniture, windows, doors and closets. Find out where your child spends the most time playing, where the toys end up lying and the most useful location for shelves.
- Determine the most convenient location of the shelves and add them to the sketch drawing of the room. Think of how many shelves would fit in the space. Note how high you want to place the shelves, because depending on their use, some will have to be low so that children can use them, but others will be located above and away from curious fingers.
- Measure the space where you plan to hang the shelves and choose the size of each one. You can also take the measure of the space between them leave once hung and record it in your sketch.
- Choose the accessories required for this task at the hardware or home improvement store. If you’re building wooden shelves, oak is a good choice because it is inexpensive and can be easily painted or stained. Generally, you can buy large pieces of wood in the thickness you want. You will also need additional parts that can be cut to keep the shelf firm on the wall. Search for triangular pieces of pre-cut pieces of wood, to facilitate your work. Depending on the size of the shelves that you want to build and space where they will be installed, it may be appropriate to do the math and find out if a set of metal wire shelves that come with their own brackets to secure them to the wall. There are systems for closets that are good also.
- Cut pieces of wood to the desired length and sand the edges to smooth them out. Cut additional pieces of wood in the shape of a triangle, so that they conform to the base of each shelf (must have two on each shelf) and support at right angle to the wall. This will not only help sustain the weight of the rack, but also provide a decorative touch.
- Fix the triangular pieces to the shelves with shelves. At this stage, you can paint or stain the shelves and let dry completely before hanging. Perhaps you want to paint the shelves with bright colors or give just a touch of color to the décor of the room.
- Place the shelves in the chosen location using the wall plugs and level. Make sure they are secured, so that children cannot break down in one go and to not overloaded with the weight of toys and books.