When the shower drain is clogged with hair, oils and other scum that gets rinsed down it, it gets stuck with a slow draining pipe system that must be handled properly. When you pour those harsh chemical drain cleaners into the shower drain, harmful chemical ingredients are introduced not only to your home, but also to your plumbing system that can often be damaged by these types of chemicals. Instead, use baking soda to unclog the shower drain.
- Pour about 1 gallon of boiling water down the drain, which softens the clogged residue.
- Plunge vigorously with a plunger for 15 seconds to loosen the residue.
- Pour 1/2 cup of baking soda into the drain, followed by 1/2 cup of vinegar.
- Watch like two elements foam, which is normal and useful in the dissolution of the obstruction. Let the solution sit for one hour.
- Pour another gallon of boiling water down the drain.