Heating and air conditioning are taken to each room of a house moving through a network of ducts that are connected to vents. The ducts are often built with aluminum tubes or rectangular poles located throughout the house. The double-wide homes are installed with two parallel tubes that are connected by a central segment, giving the appearance of a letter H. The pipes must be removed and cleaned periodically to prevent allergies if members of the family are susceptible to mold.
- Turn off the heating and air conditioning. Remove the vent and manhole covers by loosening screws with a screwdriver. For this, the screws are rotated counterclockwise.
- Pull dust or loose debris using a vacuum hose.
- Crawl under the mobile home and remove the bolts holding the tube in place. Do this by turning the bolt counterclockwise with a wrench.
- Open vent ducts by pulling gently. Bring them out from under the mobile home and set both aside for cleaning.
- Use a hand sprayer filled with an anti-mold disinfectant and spray the cleaner into the ducts.
- Dampen a mop with water and push it into the ducts. Brush all areas of the inner surface closely. Let the disinfectant soak in the lines for several minutes.
- Rinse with a hose’s spray nozzle. Let it air dry for two hours.
- Replace the ducts beneath the mobile home. Put them gently into place. Use the key to reattach the bolts on the straps, turning clockwise.
- Wrap each section with heat resistant tape and apply pressure. This will ensure that there are no leaks in the piping system.
- For an hour, soak every manhole cover and vent with a gallon of water mixed with 1 tablespoon of dishwashing detergent. Rub them with a scrub brush and rinse with clean water.
- Remove the vent cap from the central unit and clean it with a damp cloth. Remove the filter and the engine sucks and spring. Replace the filter and closes the unit.
- Replace all manhole covers and vents. Secure with screws, rotating clockwise.
Tips & Warnings
- Avoid using products such as bleach to clean the ducts. Vapors can spread through the house.
- Home improvement stores carry mildew disinfectants for duct cleaning.
- Use a mask and gloves when you suspect the presence of mold.
- Turn off the central heating and air conditioning before working with the ducts.
- This work is difficult, especially in double wide mobile homes. If it seems overwhelming, call a professional.