If you have children or pets and your five year old carpet still looks new, it is likely that periodically it’s cleaned. Cleaning frequently will keep your carpet looking newer longer and prolong its life. However, contracts with a carpet cleaning service can be expensive and annoying. The solution is to buy your own product to clean your carpet. There is a wide range of cleaners available and will be difficult to choose one.
- Evaluate your needs by determining how often you should clean your carpets. Most carpet manufacturers recommend cleaning every 18 months. If you have kids and pets, you must clean them more often.
- Determine how much money you can spend on a carpet cleaner. These devices can cost between $100 and $1,000. To help you make a budget, calculate how much money you spend on hiring a carpet cleaning service or rent a carpet cleaner over a period of ten years.
- Determine what features your ideal carpet cleaner would have. If you have hardwood floors and carpets, you may want to invest in a cleaner that cleans both. If you’re cleaning your carpets on your own or have to carry up and down stairs, you may want a light cleaner. If you have a big house, you’ll want to invest in one that has a large tank.
- Consider a cleaner with a fixed brush or roller brush. Rotating brushes get up more dirt, but are more abrasive. Fixed brushes will not damage the fibers of your carpet, but neither clean thoroughly. If you buy a cleaner with a rotating brush, you only need to clean your carpet once a year. If you have children and pets, buy a fixed brush cleaner that lets you clean your carpets more often without damaging them.
- Consult consumer reviews and ask your friends who have a cleaner. Many people are eager to share their opinions about their cleaner. Professional reviews for carpet cleaners can give tips on what models are best suited to your needs. Use your budget and desired features to choose the best model for your needs.