During the summer many people us their air conditioning. The ducts can become clogged with pet dander, dust from the house and several other remains. The key to saving money and keeping your air conditioner in good condition is to periodically clean the ducts. Cleaning the ducts should only take about 10 minutes and will keep your home healthier and allow for better air circulation.
- Remove the covers of the ventilation duct. If the covers have screws, with a screwdriver remove them. For types that just fit, lift a corner at a time.
- Wash the ventilation covers with soapy water. Apply two or three drops of mild dish detergent in a sink filled with warm water. If dust and dirt remain, let the covers soak. Rinse with clean water and dry them with a clean cloth.
- Clean the inside of the ducts as deep as you can with a damp cloth.
- Using a vacuum wand will allow you to remove both dust and debris within the duct. Although more thorough cleaning can only be achieved by a professional cleaning service, you should be able to clean a few feet in. If the accumulated dirt remains there, loosen it with a cleaning brush. Vacuum the rest of the dust and debris in and around the area.
- Affix the ventilation covers.
Tips & Warnings
- Save the screws of covers in a plastic bag while cleaning the decks to avoid losing them.
- Use gloves and a face mask. There could be harmful mold present inside the air conditioning ducts.