Concrete blocks can be an inexpensive material for building your next home. They are not only relatively simple and basic, but are also considered structurally sound and solid. In the following article, you’ll learn about the steps required to build a house of concrete blocks.
- When the company delivers the blocks, the load will consist of 80-90 blocks that must be broken down into stacks of blocks 10-12 and stacked about 2 feet (0.6 m) from the floor where the house will be built.
- Mix the mortar according to instructions on the bag, usually 16 shovels of sand and half a sack of cement. Put two to three shovels of sand and then half of the bag of mortar in the truck. Mix the dry parts with a hoe and then add the rest of the sand. Once all the dry parts are mixed, gradually add water and mix until it has the consistency of cake batter.
- When the mortar is mixed and ready, put some shovels in the corner. Make sure you have four corners reference to work from and that the walls are relatively square to each other. You’ll build at least four corners until about five blocks high. Spread mortar mix in two thick lines almost as wide as the concrete slab and thick enough to put three or four blocks along. You have a corner of 90 degrees. After the first row has been laid, stagger the next block to put it midway on the lower block. Use a level and plumb in the corner of your walls to be perfectly straight, square and vertical. Use a brush to soften the mud joints between the blocks.
- Once the corner walls have been made with five blocks, work on the middle section. Using blocks of lines, stretch nylon cord and tie it around the block. Place the blocks on the corners of the front row and start filling the first course.
- Continue until you have the desired height walls, generally 8 to 10 feet (2.50 to 3 meters) high.
Tips & Warnings
- If possible, hire an assistant. It is always faster to have someone who can help maintain the mix, stack blocks and mortar.
- Safety first. Never let the walls get higher than allowed. They might be unstable and fall.