Cleaning your carpets can allow your carpet to look new again. For wall to wall carpeting, we recommend washing them with shampoo instead of spot cleaning. Cleaning machines spray a hot solution of detergent and draw out dirt while cleaning the carpet. Here are a few steps to get your carpet looking like new.
- Buy or rent a carpet cleaning machine also known as a steam cleaner at a hardware or grocery store. When you rent the machine, the cleaning products needed are usually included or you can buy them at the rental store.
- Completely spray the carpet.
- For really dirty areas you should increase the amount of cleaner used.
- Fill the hose or tank of the machine with hot water tap.
- Use the machine and carpet shampoo as directed by the manufacturer.
- Empty the dirty water from the machine tank as needed.
- Check the carpet with your hand to make sure it appears clean.
- Wait overnight for the carpet to dry before walking on it. To dry completely, open windows and use fans.
Tips & Warnings
- Special solutions are available to treat stains and pet odors.
- Saturating the carpet can cause water to seep through damaging the floor underneath.